DHHS ordered to release records on $1 million Planned Parenthood grant
To read other articles from this issue of WSR: Click here

American Life League Associate group New Hampshire Right to Life (NHRTL) received some vindication when a federal judge recently ordered the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to release records about a $1 million grant that was awarded to Planned Parenthood.

The records had been requested under the Freedom of Information Act. NHRTL has waited more than five months for the records, which it says were required by law to be delivered within 20 working days of the request. The judge said the documents must be released by April 1.

Seacoastonline.com reports that New Hampshire Right to Life alleges the million dollars of public money “was awarded to Planned Parenthood via a ‘no-bid contract’ and over the objections of the governor's executive council. The federal lawsuit also alleges the DHHS failed to produce public records and is illegally withholding documents, both in violation of the federal Freedom of Information Act.”

After an announcement by DHHS that the money would be subject to a competitive bid process, NHRTL attempted to apply for a portion of the funding, but was never given an opportunity to apply.

Kudos to New Hampshire Right to Life for taking on the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services for awarding the money to Planned Parenthood.